One of the most frequently asked questions I get is, “How do you get the pizza dough to be ROUND??”
I have a couple of tricks that, with practice, will guarantee you round pizza dough. Let me explain.
The MOST IMPORTANT part is to shape your dough into round balls before it rises. If you begin with round dough, it’s more likely that you’ll end up with round dough. If you need extra help with that, check out this video.
- When you’re ready to start stretching out your pizza dough:
- Lightly flour a work surface. Keep some extra flour nearby in case you need a little extra.
- Scoop your risen dough from the baking sheet using a plastic dough scraper. Place it gently onto your floured work surface.
- With your fingertips, gently press the dough into a disc from the center outward.
- Next, stretch it in opposite directions with your fingertips. Focus on the edges of the dough, not the center.
- Gently turn the dough while you keep stretching it larger…
- ….and larger still…
What if you don’t want round pizza dough?
There are so many fun shapes you can make with your pizza dough that can add to the fun of making it. Consider the following shapes:
The Heart Shape
To get this shape, use a butter knife to create the indentation at the top of the heart. Pull the dough to a point at the bottom with your fingers.
For this shape, simply pinch the middle of the dough together with your fingers. It may take a few tries!
The Crescent Moon
Ok, you got me. This is just me cutting the dough in the shape of a moon. Think of the pizza shapes you can make!
The Dreaded Pizza Monster
Sometimes a hole will develop when you’re shaping your dough. Uh-oh! Don’t panic. You can press it back together with your fingers. If you can’t seem to manage that, make the best of it, like I did here!